Tide prepares for Stanford, loses Steele for tournament

The top-seeded Alabama men’s basketball team will play host to No. 4 Stanford in the second round of the National Invitational Tournament on Saturday March 23 at Coleman Coliseum.

Stanford is the defending NIT champion and has won six straight NIT games, dating back to last season.

Head coach Anthony Grant was impressed with the Cardinal and what it has been able to accomplish so far this season.

“An extremely skilled team,” Grant said. “A team that has a lot of veteran players on it. A very talented team, very well-coached team.”

Stanford’ Dwight Powell is leading the Cardinal in points per game this season with 15.3. The junior forward scored a team-high 12 points and 15 rebounds in Stanford’s first round victory over Stephen F. Austin.

“He’s a matchup problem,” Grant said. “I don’t think, as far as I can remember, we’ve faced a guy like him in terms of his skill set, so just trying to get our guys prepared to go against him as a team.”

Sophomore guard Levi Randolph mimicked his coach’s words and praised Powell for his efforts on both ends of the floor.

“He’s skilled on the inside and the outside,” Randolph said. “We haven’t played a player like that this yet this year.”

The Crimson Tide (22-12) will be without its lone senior for the remainder of the season. Senior guard Andrew Steele had successful surgery on his troublesome ankle on Wednesday to repair several issues.

Grant said Steele’s experience was invaluable and still having him around the locker room and on the bench is key to Alabama’s success moving forward.

“He’s been somewhat of a mentor, a coach on the floor, a guy that’s always got good word of advice whether it’s on a specific play or things that are going on within a game or practice or just whatever is needed at a specific moment,” Grant said. “Obviously, of late he’s not been able to be out there with them from a competition standpoint, but he’s still, I think all the guys will tell you, a part of what we’re doing on a daily basis.”

Randolph said Steele’s knowledge of the game benefits the younger players whenever a question comes up.

“Andrew is like another coach to us,” Randolph said. “If we have a question or we need some advice, good or bad, he’s there to tell us and help us out. He’s been here for a while. He knows everything there is to playing in the SEC, and he knows what’s expected.”

Steele is still recovering from surgery but will likely be on the bench for Saturday’s game.

“If he’s physically able to be there, he’ll be there on Saturday,” Grant said.

Alabama will look to improve to 3-0 all-time against the Cardinal. All three contests have come in the postseason. The last meeting saw the Tide upset then-No. 1 Stanford, 70-67, in the second round of the 2004 NCAA Tournament.

The game will tip off at 11 a.m. and will be televised on ESPN.