Bryant named next editor-in-chief of CW

Bryant named next editor-in-chief of CW

Screen Shot 2013-03-20 at 11.47.07 PMMazie Bryant, a junior majoring in journalism from Montgomery, Ala., was named the next editor-in-chief of The Crimson White for the 2013-2014 school year Wednesday afternoon by The University of Alabama Media Planning Board.

“I am very excited and feel honored to be chosen,” Bryant said. “I look forward to improving the paper, working on our weaknesses and building up our strengths.”

Chris Roberts, head of the Media Planning Board, said this year’s decision was tough.

“We had three terrific candidates with a great deal of skills, and we couldn’t have gone wrong with any choice,” Roberts said. “Mazie brought more news experience, which gave her the advantage.”

Bryant began writing for The Crimson White news desk as a contributing writer in September 2011 before moving up to staff and senior staff reporter positions. Bryant served as news editor of The Crimson White for summer 2012 and assistant news editor in fall 2012.

In her tenure at the news desk, she reported on gun violence, Tuscaloosa city government, mental illness and numerous other topics relating to students and the University.

Bryant is currently studying abroad for the spring semester at Edinburgh Napier University in Edinburgh, Scotland, while she continues to contribute columns to The Crimson White’s Opinions Page. She will intern this summer with Vanity Fair magazine in New York City. She is also a member of Chi Omega sorority.

Roberts said Bryant will build on the success The Crimson White has seen over the past three years under former Editor-in-Chief Victor Luckerson and current Editor-in-Chief Will Tucker.

“She will be able to reach a diverse student body and appeal to what they need to know,” he said.

In her proposal submitted to the board, Bryant said there are three distinct aspects of the publication that need to be focused on: print, online and social media.

“Improving these well-established mediums and perfecting personnel roles within our organization will sustain our commitment in the community,” she said.

Bryant said she is looking forward to finding a staff of dedicated people to run next year’s publication.

“I think over the past year our staff has done an excellent job,” Bryant said. “We have run a great news organization, and I am excited about moving it forward even more.”