NCAA tournament kicks off March Madness, provides interesting matchups

It’s that time of year again: March Madness. 68 teams have their tickets punched for the NCAA tournament, and now the only thing left to do is go dancing. The round of 64 tips off Thursday, and if you don’t have time to watch all 32 games, you should make sure to tune in for these especially intriguing ones.

The 7-10 matchup in the Midwest puts together two polar opposite teams. Creighton, winner of the MVC, has one of the best offenses around. Led by forward Doug McDermott, whose 23.1 points per game is second in the country, the Blue Jays’ starting five all have tournament experience. Creighton also leads the nation in shooting percentage, 3-pointers and is 24th in scoring. They go up against Cincinnati, a punishing defensive team that struggled to find the basket in Big East play. After winning their first 12 games while averaging 79.8 points, the offense disappeared, and they finished 197th in scoring and 305th in shooting. The defense stayed constant, as they rank 24th in scoring defense and eighth in rebounding. Look for PG Cashmere Wright to control this game and lead the Bearcats to an upset.

The South’s 5-12 game pits VCU against MAC champions Akron. Shaka Smart’s Rams made a memorable Final Four run in 2011, and four of their starters were on that team. The Rams have the best turnover margin in the country, which is bad news for an Akron team ranked 207th in turnovers per game. They can also score. Led by Treveon Graham and Juvonte Reddic, their 78 points per game is 11th in the nation. Don’t count out the Zips, though. Seven-foot senior Zeke Marshall creates serious matchup problems for VCU, which typically plays a four-guard lineup that averages 6-feet 5-inches. If Akron can defend the three, and freshman PG Carmelo Betancourt can fill in for the suspended Alex Abreu, they have a chance to win this game.

The West brings us a 6-11 matchup between Arizona and Belmont. The Wildcats started the season 20-2, beating Florida and Miami, but ended on a 5-5 run. They can score, but their three best scorers all shoot under 45 percent. They struggle on defense, especially against the three, where they rank 276th. This bodes well for a senior-laden Bruins team led by Ian Clark, one of the top offensive guards in the country. Unusually for a small-conference team, Belmont has the size to stand with Arizona, but they lack a true center to matchup with 7-footer Kaleb Tarczewski. Belmont struggles to grab rebounds, so they need to make their shots count. They’ve been able to do this so far, as they shoot 49.4 percent, fourth in the country. If the Bruins can limit their turnovers, they have a good chance in this game.

The 6-11 game between Butler and Patriot League champions Bucknell is an interesting one. The Bulldogs defeated Indiana, Gonzaga and UNC this season, led by guard Rotnei Clarke’s outstanding 3-point shooting. Butler will need a big game from senior center Andrew Smith, who goes up against one of the best players you’ve never heard of, Mike Muscala. Muscala averages 11.2 rebounds, fourth in the country, in addition to 19 points per game. The Bison protect the ball well, committing the second-fewest turnovers per game in the nation. They also play stingy defense, holding opponents under 38 percent shooting. These are all good signs for Bucknell, but to pull off the upset, they need production, especially 3-point shooting, from their backcourt, Cameron Ayers and Bryson Johnson.

These should be some of the best games of another interesting tournament, so make sure to tune in this weekend.

Crimson Tide suits up for first full-contact practice

Alabama geologist’s research continues to benefit state

Student rewarded with scholarship for LGBTQ activism on campus