Author BJ Hollars to speak on new civil rights book

The University of Alabama’s University Libraries, along with the Summersell Center for the Study of the South, will host BJ Hollars as he speaks about and reads from his new book, “Opening the Doors: The Desegregation of the University of Alabama and the Fight for Civil Rights in Tuscaloosa.”

The event will be held Wednesday in Gorgas Library Room 205 at 7 p.m.

Hollars said he was teaching a few sections of African-American literature at the university when he became motivated to write “Opening the Doors.”

“One day we got to talking about Wallace’s Stand in the Schoolhouse Door, and I was surprised to learn that the students knew relatively little about it. In fact, I knew relatively little about it. I think this is what spurred me to try to tackle the subject,” Hollars said. “While many of us know the image of Gov. Wallace’s Stand in the Schoolhouse Door at Foster Auditorium, we know relatively little about the African-American students who actually entered through door. I wanted to honor James Hood and Vivian Malone, along with Autherine Lucy, who attempted to desegregate the school seven years prior.”

Hollars did much of his research for the book at the W.S. Hoole Special Collections Library on campus.

Jessica Lacher-Feldman, Special Collections librarian at the Hoole Library, encouraged students to attend the event.

“BJ is a wonderful and engaging speaker, and I know that students, faculty, staff and community members would really enjoy hearing him,” Lacher-Feldman said. “Not only is he great, but the topic is extremely timely and important. I encourage students especially to come and learn more about the history of our university and the Tuscaloosa community.”

Hollars said he will be focusing on the story of Autherine Lucy, an unsung hero of the University’s desegregation effort.

“In 1956 Autherine Lucy, a 26-year-old African-American woman, attempted to desegregate the University and was met by violent resistance at the hands of a mob. It’s a part of our university’s history we rarely talk about,” Hollars said. “We remember Wallace’s stand, but what about the people who came before? I’ll dedicate much of the time to recounting Lucy’s struggles, and how her struggles helped pave the way for James Hood and Vivian Malone’s desegregation efforts seven years later.”

“Opening the Doors” was published by The University of Alabama Press and is set to release this week.