Kinesiology department offers self-defense class for UA women

Female students at the University have the opportunity to take an elective quite unlike many others – Sexual Harassment and Rape Prevention.

The class is a general elective in the kinesiology department female students can take, requiring no prerequisite courses.

“I believe it is very helpful for young ladies in college to learn how to protect themselves in harmful situations,” said Katie Abt, an instructor of the class and master’s student studying sport pedagogy. “For many girls, this is the first time they’ve been away from the protection of their parents. This class is a great way for them to learn how to protect themselves and situations or places to avoid all together.”

Techniques range from learning hip checks to angle kicks and gun disarming.

“We teach techniques to protect women against passive assaults, unwanted flirtatious contact and active aggression,” Abt said.

Vivian Fowler, a master’s student studying sport pedagogy who also instructs the class, said students will learn how to escape from several situations, but teaching techniques are centered on escaping the situation and not attacking.

“You learn how to be aware of your surroundings, how to prepare for undesirable situations, how to project yourself so you don’t become a victim and how to change small things to ward off would-be creepers,” Fowler said.

Emily Simpson, a senior majoring in psychology, said she feels that she’d be able to use techniques she learned in class to diffuse the situation.

“I decided to take the class mainly because I thought it’d be useful, especially since I get off work after dark,” Simpson said.

Because the class is geared toward sexual harassment and rape prevention, it is currently for women only and no alternative class is offereed for men.

“I think men should be able to learn the techniques I learned, because women aren’t the only people who get attacked,” Simpson said.

Fowler said there are techniques students can use to help keep themselves out of harmful situations without taking a class.

“Be aware of your environment – who should be there, who should not,” Fowler said. “Don’t take unnecessary risks with your safety. Know the number for UAPD and use it and get the Guardian app and use it. Project self-assurance and don’t be afraid to be verbally confrontational if approached by someone who may or may not intend on harm.”

Abt said there have been several instances of students who have encountered a threatening situation while enrolled in the class, and were able to protect themselves because of what they learned.

“I know that I am much more aware of my surroundings and feel more comfortable having to go out by myself because of the things taught in this class,” Abt said.

The class currently offers six sections Tuesday through Thursday, and the class meets at Moore Hall or at the UAPD.

“If anyone has not taken the class, I encourage you to enroll for it as soon as you can,” Abt said.