Applications now open for 2013-14 University Stewards

University Stewards, an organization that aids in student recruitment, is accepting applications for the 2013-2014 year until March 22. Stewards meet with prospective students and their families to introduce them to campus. The tour includes visits to residential halls and lunch at a dining hall on campus.

“We like to bring it down for parents and their children to show them what the life of a college student is like here at UA,” Eric Alsobrook, University Stewards vice president of involvement, said.

Stewards is part of the recruiting branch of the admissions office and aids prospective students in making a decision to come to the University. They inform students of the opportunities the University has to offer while representing it in a positive light, Alsobrook said.

Alsobrook said the task of making connections and guiding potential new students and their families can be daunting at times. He said this is not something you should do just to add to a resume.

“We are looking for someone who has a passion for the University and what it has to offer, and exudes that enthusiasm,” Alsobrook said. “We want someone who will go that extra mile to make people feel comfortable.”

University Stewards president Elisabeth Burns said the initial application involves two short essays and a one-page professional resume. Once resumes are reviewed, selected applicants will go through a formal interview process.

Freshmen and sophomores with a 3.0 or higher GPA are encouraged to apply. Applicants need to be involved in campus activities, but not over-committed, Burns said.

Burns said the Stewards’ focus is to create a personal experience for visiting students and to set them off on the right foot by finding out their interests.

“The most important qualities in a Steward are being welcoming, well-spoken and dedicated,” Burns said. “We need people who are going to make families feel at home on campus.”

Samantha Gaffney, University Stewards president-elect, said she has gained professional etiquette communication skills from her experience. It’s been a positive experience that allows her to meet people from all over the country, she said.

“I feel like this is my way of giving back to the University and a way to share everything I’ve gained here through my experience,” Gaffney said.

She said she has enjoyed being involved in an organization where you get to work one-on-one with the admissions office and see a different side of the University.

“If you’re outgoing, love to meet new people and enjoy your time here at the University, it’s an enriching experience,” Gaffney said.

Applications for the 2013-2014 year are due Friday, and are now available online at bama.ua.edu/~uastewards.