Three position battles to watch when spring training begins

The University of Alabama could have three former offensive linemen drafted in the first round of the 2013 NFL Draft. Guard Chance Warmack and tackle D.J. Fluker are projected as such in ESPN’s Mel Kiper Jr.’s latest mock draft and center Barrett Jones could join that group as well in the next month leading up to the draft.

But the trio’s departure also leaves some big holes, figuratively and literally, to fill on the Crimson Tide’s offensive line and spring practice, which starts Saturday, will give coaches ample time to decide who to play up front.

“You gotta make a name for yourself,” said JUCO offensive tackle Leon Brown, who enrolled at Alabama in January and will take part in spring drills.

Brown will be right in the mix at right tackle, coming in with two years of experience at the junior college level. When head coach Nick Saban signs junior college players, especially linemen such as Brown and former defensive linemen Jesse Williams and Quinton Dial, he does so with the intention that they will play immediately.

“You gotta make sure everyone knows who you are in the weight room,” Brown said. “Make sure everyone knows that you’re working hard, and try to become the best football player you can be.”

Alabama could also have a pair of brothers starting on its offensive line in 2013. Cyrus Kouandjio, who started the entire 2012 season at left tackle, could be joined by his brother, Arie, at left guard. A rising redshirt junior, Arie has struggled with a knee injury during his Crimson Tide career, but is expected to be back at full strength when spring practice starts.

“They call him Jason, out of Freddy vs. Jason, because he just keeps on coming,” Cyrus said of Arie during the season. “They cut up both his knees, they chop ‘em up real good, and he just keeps on coming. You know he’s out there, he’s playing and he’s doing good and he’s getting pancakes and big blocks. I love his attitude because he can’t be stopped with such a good attitude.”

Backup quarterback

There may not be a more recognizable star than (quarterback) AJ McCarron returning for Alabama. But the situation behind him could not be more muddled.

Dual threat Blake Sims took most of the second string snaps during games in 2012, with Phillip Ely right behind him. But head coach Nick Saban would prefer more of a pocket passer to be his quarterback of the future.

Ely and Sims, along with Alec Morris, who redshirted in 2012, will be joined by three newcomers: Cooper Bateman, Parker McLeod and Jack Del Rio, a preferred walk-on and son of Denver Broncos defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio. With six quarterbacks vying for one spot, there will be plenty to talk about behind McCarron.

“The way opportunities go is it doesn’t happen by seniority,” Saban said on signing day. “You probably look at it like, ‘Well, this guy’s been here the longest, so he gets the most chance.’ If he’s been here the longest, he’s already had the most chances. If he hasn’t taken advantage of those opportunities, then somebody else has a turn at getting those chances.”

Running back

Like at quarterback, there is a returning star and a plethora of options behind him. T.J. Yeldon exploded onto the scene his freshman year in 2012 and is in position to be the feature back in 2013. But Alabama added four highly-touted running backs to complement the already impressive group shooting for the No. 2 job.

Of the four, Derrick Henry is the only one who chose to enroll in January, like Yeldon did in 2012, giving him a leg up on the competition. Yeldon turned his early enrollment into a breakout performance in the 2012 spring game and a backup job his freshman year.

While running back may eventually become Alabama’s deepest position once the other freshmen arrive on campus, Saban was quick to dispel the notion on signing day.

“We have one guy coming back that gained 1,000 yards,” Saban said. “We have another guy who carried the ball a few times as a freshman, and two guys that got hurt, that may or may not be able to come back and play that position well. To me, to have really good depth at running back, you need five really good players.”