City planning class accepting applications for fall

PlanFirst, a service-learning course within the Honors College, is accepting applications for the fall semester from students of all majors interested in the city planning process.

Madalyn Vaughn, a junior majoring in accounting and public relations, started PlanFirst in 2011 with her brother and UA graduate, Wesley Vaughn.

“My brother and I created PlanFirst out of UH 101 Moral Forum in the fall of 2011,” Vaughn said. “We are both interested in city planning and development and came up with the idea after becoming involved in the Tuscaloosa Forward plan following the April 27, 2011 tornado. This class has given students an opportunity to be engaged in the city they now call home by allowing them to meet city officials and by giving the students rare insight into the city planning process.”

Last fall, PlanFirst focused on the Strip. Students were split into groups based on interests and worked to find potential solutions for aspects of the Strip that could use improvement.

“We had a group of engineering students focus on the parking and traffic routes of the area and come up with a new plan to make the area less congested and walkable,” Vaughn said.

Other student proposals included solutions to help ease loitering outside bars on the Strip, a small loan-incentive program to allow businesses on the Strip to participate in facade improvements in order to make the Strip more appealing and a plan for The University of Alabama and the city of Tuscaloosa to work together on repurchasing land around the Strip to create mixed-use developments.

This spring, students had the opportunity to present their ideas for the Strip to the Tuscaloosa Planning Department and Mayor Maddox. Their proposals are being considered for implementation by the city’s joint task force with the University.

Olivia Grider, research project coordinator at the UA Center for Ethics and Social Responsibility, said PlanFirst helps connect university students with the city they live in.

“While university students make up a third of Tuscaloosa’s population, students are not often involved in making positive changes through city government,” Grider said. “One purpose of the PlanFirst initiative is to involve and engage students so they become invested in the success and growth of the city.”

The class was taught by Stephen Black, director of the UA Center for Ethics and Social Responsibility. This year, Black will be joined by Tuscaloosa City Planner, John McConnell.

“Our goals moving forward are to continue providing support to the city in needed areas,” Grider said. “Last year, the city needed resources to analyze the Strip, and this year, it will direct our students to another area of need. With John McConnell even closer to the project, this ongoing dialogue will be even stronger.”

PlanFirst will be accepting a maximum of about 12 students. Applications will be due March 22. Any interested students should contact Vaughn at [email protected] for an application and more details.

Visiting philosopher to lecture on abortion controversy

[Opinion] Public education system in state requires reform, not more pathways out

[Opinion] What I discovered while poppin’ tags in Tuscaloosa