Arts ‘n Autism celebrates 9 years of service

Arts ’n Autism, an after-school program for autistic children in the Tuscaloosa community, will be hosting their eighth “Stand Up for Autism,” a comedy night to benefit the program Friday, March 1.

The event will be held at the Bama Theatre at 7 p.m., with doors opening at 6 p.m. Single tickets are $30, couples tickets are $50.

The event will feature local comedians Rick Dowling, Brad Fisher and Max Karrh, as well as special guests. There will be food, a cash bar and a live auction that will include various donated items, like gift cards and vacations. All proceeds from the event will go directly to Arts ’n Autism.

In between each of the comedian’s stand up acts, audience members will be educated on the Arts ’n Autism program and what the program does in the community.

“We want you to laugh and have a good time, but we also want you to learn more about autism, Arts ’n Autism and how you can help,” Suzanne Dowling, development director for Arts ’n Autism, said. “It’s a fundraiser, but it also raises awareness, which is just as important.”

Dowling said this fundraiser is unique because, unlike other more traditional fundraisers, it doesn’t require any physical activity.

“You don’t see a lot of comedy fundraisers, and that’s what makes this fundraiser different from a lot of others,” Dowling said. “This fundraiser doesn’t ask you to walk, run or play golf. Exercising your funny bone is just about the only exercise you’ll get.”

Rick Dowling, husband of Suzanne Dowling, is one of the comedians who will be featured, and Suzanne Dowling said because they have a 21-year-old son with autism, her husband’s routine draws from those experiences.

“Believe it or not, there are humorous moments in our lives,” Dowling said. “Just like any other family, we have funny stories to share.”

Dowling said because she has a child with autism, this program is very personal to her, and it also gives her a lot of satisfaction that it is able to go beyond her child.

“We’re about to celebrate nine years of being an after-school program,” Dowling said. “What we found was a lot of families were having to quit their jobs or cut back, or use grandparents because no after-school activities or programs were taking kids with autism. Kids were getting kicked out, and there was nowhere for them to go.”

The program has three goals: provide the children with a place to go after school, provide a place for them to get therapy and better themselves and provide parents with rest or a break from being primary caretakers.

Participants in the program range from ages 3-22 years old and participate in different activities like dance, yoga, cooking and other art projects, which are taught by professional volunteers in the community.

“Everything’s been planned, and every activity is therapeutically based,” Dowling said. “It’s for social skills, communication skills and fine motor skills. We work on things like following instructions, sitting still, waiting your turn, holding your pencil and a lot of other things people take for granted.”

Michelle Samaritan, a senior majoring in early childhood development and intern for the Arts ’n Autism program, said because autism affects one in 88 children, it is important to provide a community that’s inclusive and educated.

“We’re bringing together a community from the ground level up,” Samaritan said. “It’s one of the most rewarding experiences I’ve had to date.”

Samaritan said working with the program has given her a more holistic, applied experience with not just the kids, but their families also.

“The program gives the opportunity for a parent to be a parent and be a cheerleader for their kid, and that lesson can never be taken away from me,” Samaritan said. “It’s so much fun to work with the parents too and see how excited they are.”

Anna Sara Sandlin, a senior majoring in marketing who has been helping with public relations for Stand Up for Autism, said the event is an easy way for UA students to show their support for autism.

“We should all unite around any program in our community that helps children learn important life and social skills that they may not get otherwise,” Sandlin said.

Tickets can be purchased online at standupforautism.com, or at The Downtown Gallery, Matt Clinton Designs or Hudson-Poole Fine Jewelers.

Sony comes out swinging and hits homerun with approaching PS4 launch

Saturday in the Park events return to Moundville

Faculty differs on constitutionality of gun laws