International students feel culture shock

There are 1,377 active international students hailing from 71 countries and regions of the world studying at The University of Alabama, representing a little more than 4 percent of the 33,602 students enrolled at the Capstone in fall 2012. The University offers opportunities for students from outside the U.S. to come and study dozens of subjects, effectively serving as an international university.

“As of fall 2012, [Capstone International Services] served 1,484 international students, of whom 409 were new students,” CIS director Charter Morris said. “Of the 1,484 total international students served by CIS, 1,377 are active, enrolled students, and 107 are recent graduates who remain on The University of Alabama’s visa sponsorship while working on Optional Practical Training.”

Katherine Naranjo, a sophomore majoring in geology, is one of those international students. She left her apartment in Chile’s capital city to study at The University of Alabama this semester. She came to participate in the English Language Institute, an language-learning program offered by the University.

“Here I only study English, only for one session,” Naranjo said. “We have reading and writing and listening and speaking to an instructor in English.”

(See also “Non-traditional students face many barriers”)

Naranjo admitted to experiencing some culture shock because of the many differences between Tuscaloosa and her hometown when she first arrived. One of the biggest, she said, was the need for a car. Where Naranjo is from, she is used to walking and said she was taken aback by the size of Tuscaloosa.

OVERSET FOLLOWS:“It’s very different. For example, Tuscaloosa is so big that you need a car,” Naranjo said. “You have to push the button to cross the street.”

Compared to her home in Chile, Tuscaloosa is also quiet, she said. She said it is easier to study and focus on schoolwork here.

“People are so quiet and so peaceful here,” Naranjo said. “At my apartment in Chile there are many sounds and its very loud.”

During her time here, Naranjo has also been able to meet and network with new people from all different backgrounds. As part of her study abroad program, she participates in regular cultural exchange activities with students from various countries.

“I have made friends from Chile, Korea and Colombia,” Naranjo said. “But not so many from America, I think, because we do not have a lot of things in common.”

Another drawback for Naranjo is her lack of a roommate. She said she expects to be getting a roommate from a Japanese study abroad program soon, though, and the prospect excites her.

“I would really like a roommate,” Naranjo said.

Cost is a large reason why she selected the University as her study abroad option, she said.

“UA is unique in that it has a quality reputation and is still an affordable option for many non-residents,” Morris said. “The academic support is strong, which is why many students who are here recommend their friends to look at UA.”

In addition to its affordability, the University also offers international students the ELI and other programs to help them immerse themselves.

“The English Language Institute serves as a way for students with lower English ability to enter UA first through ELI and then be able to matriculate into the undergraduate or graduate programs after they meet English proficiency requirements,” Morris said. “A significant number of students enter UA through the ELI program each year.”

The English Language Institute is one of three departments within the Capstone International Center.

“The Capstone International Center consists of three units: International Services, English Language Institute and International Academic Programs/Study Abroad,” associate provost of international education and global outreach Teresa Wise said. As associate provost, each department reports back to Wise.

Morris described life here for international students as the same as life for domestic students, although he said there are challenges that an international studying experience can present.

“Life isn’t unlike that experienced by any student, domestic or international, but the issues of cultural adjustment and life far away from home do present unique challenges,” Morris said.

The experiences and cultural differences that international students bring to the campus are invaluable, Morris says.

“Many of the students who have chosen to come to the U.S. and UA will one day be leaders in their communities, in business, in academia, in science and in politics,” Morris said. “The immediate benefit to UA of having a large international student population is the diversity of ideas, opinions and experiences that are brought to the campus, but the long term benefit to the campus and the state of Alabama is immeasurable.”

With so much potential being brought to campus from both international and domestic standpoints, Morris said he believes the potential he has seen in students could lead to any number of great things.

“Who knows,” Morris said, “if there is a President or a titan of industry among our current population who will one day remember UA and decide to invest in the state that he or she called home?”

Dodgeball games to benefit St. Jude’s

Evolution scholars to explain research findings

University to host majors fair in Ferg