Japanese opera creates commentary on Victorian Era

The University of Alabama Opera Theatre, under the direction of Paul Houghtaling, will present Gilbert and Sullivan’s comic opera, “The Mikado,” this weekend, March 1-3, in the Choral Opera Room of Moody Music Building. This zany satire opened at London’s Savoy Theatre in 1885 and remains one of Gilbert and Sullivan’s most popular operettas.

“The Mikado” is a blend of famous tunes like “Three Little Maids,” “Tit Willow,” “The Sun Whose Rays Are All Ablaze” and rapid-fire dialogue.

Prince Nanki-Poo, the son of the Mikado, has run away from his father’s court, escaping a marriage to the overbearing Katisha. He comes upon the town of Titipu disguised as a wandering minstrel, where he falls in love with the beautiful Yum-Yum, who is betrothed to Ko-Ko, the Lord High Executioner. In typical Gilbert and Sullivan fashion, several misunderstandings and miscommunications tangle up the whole crew in a mess of law and love. Although set in Japan, “The Mikado” serves as a commentary on Victorian England.

“The Mikado” will feature the largest set the UAOT has ever used, designed by Brad Caleb Lee, a first-year M.F.A. student in scenic design in the department of theatre and dance.

“I remember the first show UAOT put on,” Lee said. “We could see the TV in the Choral Opera room because the flats were so small. It’s truly amazing to see how far it’s come. I’m very excited for this show.”

Costume designer Daniel Whitlow, a first year M.F.A. student in costume design technology, echoes the excitement.

“I made all of these [costumes] in my free time which adds an extra layer of stress, but also an extra layer of pride,” Whitlow said.

Adding to the theme of growth, graduating seniors and graduate students are preparing to take their final opera bows with the company. Among these students is Lawson Daves, a senior majoring in vocal performance who plays Ko-Ko, one of the show’s most physically demanding characters.

“It’s such an energetic role,” said Daves. “I’m basically just running around for two hours.”

Most of the roles in “The Mikado” are double cast, allowing each UAOT member to participate. One of these double-casted characters is Yum-Yum, the female romantic lead. Katie Aldrup, a senior majoring in vocal performance and Heather Jacques, a second-year masters student in vocal performance split the duty of performing Yum-Yum on alternating nights.

“We definitely have different personalities,” said Aldrup of her double-castmate. “Heather is a lot better at being girly.”

“I think Katie is a lot better at bringing out the coy side of her [Yum-Yum],” Jaques said.

Audiences will have to gauge for themselves the characterization differences between casts.

Other UAOT members will be busy keeping the residents in the fictional town of Titipu on the same page. Jen Stephenson, a doctoral student in vocal performance, will be the conductor for this production. Her baton will preside over the small orchestra.

“I sort of equate conducting an opera to herding cats,” Stephenson said.“A lot of the younger singers are not yet used to working with a conductor beyond a choral standpoint. In solo voice music with pianist, it’s easy for a pianist to catch a singer if they make a mistake, but that isn’t so here because we have about ten orchestra members to keep in mind. They’re learning, though.”

Tickets for “The Mikado” can be purchased at uamusic.tix.com. “The Mikado” runs Friday and Saturday night at 7:30 and Sunday at 3. There is no assigned seating so early arrival is advised. There will be a pre-show lecture on Friday night at 6:30 in the Recital Hall by Clay A. McCollum.

Hyped NFL Combine leaves fans disappointed

Creative Campus sparks interest at other schools

Softball team swinging for 17th season victory against Samford