Softball team swinging for 17th season victory against Samford

The Alabama softball team will look to continue its undefeated season when it plays the Samford Bulldogs Wednesday.

A win would be the team’s 17th consecutive victory to open the season, a mark they have matched or exceeded four times since the beginning of the 2007 season.

The Crimson Tide has outscored their opponents 118-24 so far this season, including five shutouts, but head coach Patrick Murphy warned that the team should not rest on its laurels.

“We had too many easy outs: strikeouts, pop-outs. The pop-outs were the most frustrating to me,” Murphy said. “We need to work on execution. When we get bunts down we’re a pretty good offense, but when we don’t we struggle. The execution needs to improve all over.”

The Tide has been successful against in-state squads, with an all-time record of 105-15 against other teams from Alabama, including UAB, Auburn, Troy and Samford, among others.

“When you play in-state teams, you know they’re going to bring it,” Murphy said. “They’re going to play their best games. [Samford] will be sky-high, and we’ve got to be ready for them.”

In another good sign for the Tide, the team holds an 18-2 record against Samford, with the only two losses coming in 1997, the Alabama softball program’s first year in existence. The Bulldogs come into this matchup at 6-6, and are 0-3 in away games, although they have won three of their last four games. Their most recent game against the Tide came on March 7th of last season, and resulted in a 7-3 Tide victory.

The Tide’s strategy for the game is a simple one: Score early and often.

“We want to see runs on the board every inning, because when one good thing happens, it just starts a spark and everybody gets fired up,” pitcher Lauren Sewell said.

The game is the first in a five-day, seven-game stretch for the Tide. After Samford they play a makeup game against the South Alabama Jaguars, and then welcome the Iowa State Cyclones and St. John’s Red Storm for this weekend’s Easton Classic.

Wednesday is also Catch with the Kids day at Rhoads Stadium. All children ages 12 and under will be allowed to play catch in the outfield after the game. First pitch is scheduled for 6 pm Wednesday at Rhoads Stadium.

Hyped NFL Combine leaves fans disappointed

Japanese opera creates commentary on Victorian Era

Creative Campus sparks interest at other schools