Figure drawing class allows students to learn technique, anatomy

The brushstrokes of a handful of UA art students in a classroom in Woods Hall are transforming the way the models volunteering for the figure drawing class see themselves as the students explore creativity and various drawing techniques.

“As a woman, I have this mental picture of myself, and it’s hard to see myself from anyone else’s perspective,” said Teri Hasemeyer, a model for the class and senior majoring in journalism and dance. “Literally seeing what other people see about my physical body helps me to have a realistic image of what I really look like to people, and to be honest, it is beautiful. It has been encouraging and enlightening in that way.”

Anne Herbert, instructor of the class and graduate student, describes the class as one that seeks to develop visual acuity and self-expression in relationship to drawing the human figure.

During the classes, Herbert said students will learn how to draw figures using correct proportions and anatomy.

“A greater emphasis is placed on creativity, expression and sensitivity to the arrangement of visual elements as they seek to capture the vitality of a figure,” Herbert said.

While the class is comprised mostly of live drawing exercises using a model, Herbert said the class also explores materials, process and concept.

“In addition, critiques and class discussions will take place throughout the course to provide feedback, growth and respectful dialogue,” Herbert said. “The class is fast paced and fun and a lot of explorations into materials and techniques are possible when the subject of drawing is decided.”

Ally Mabry, a junior majoring in digital media and printmaking currently enrolled in the class, said she had been excited to take figure drawing since she was a freshman.

“I’m really happy with how the class is going this semester,” Mabry said. “Anne makes the atmosphere relaxed and constructive, and we can all appreciate each other’s different drawing techniques.”

Mabry said her expectations were completely different coming into the class, and have changed significantly from the start of the semester.

“I expected to create more detailed drawings, but this class focuses on creating movement and mood in a piece,” Mabry said. “It’s pushing me out of my comfort zone, and I’m really appreciative for that.”

In addition to being pushed out of her comfort zone, Mabry said she also gets to experiment with other forms of art.

“In the past week alone I’ve learned how to use India Ink to capture a figure, and I’ve taped charcoal to the end of a stick to draw with,” Mabry said. “It’s always exciting, and there’s always something unexpected to try.”

Hasemeyer found a listing on the Facebook page for dance majors looking for models for the class.

“I have really enjoyed the experience, because I am not much of an artist, so I enjoy being a part of the art as the subject,” she said.

Hasemeyer said being a model for the class has pushed her out of her comfort zone, but the students have made it easier to be comfortable.

“I think that students come in ready to learn while expressing their own take on the assignment,” Hasemeyer said. “I think that they also see me, the model, as just a subject or a body, which honestly makes it a little easier to get out of my comfort zone.”

Krystal Campbell, another model for the class, said the students are professional and serious which makes the environment comfortable and relaxed.

“The students are very talented, and I have the opportunity to see a side of the UA population you forget exists if you aren’t an art major,” Campbell said. “I encourage anyone who gets a chance to do it.”

Gutierrez likely to miss next gymnastics meet

Students find it difficult to read for pleasure

Some students question shift to suite-style dorms