Bob Woodward of Washington Post to speak Friday

Bob Woodward, the Pulitzer Prize winning journalist famous for breaking the Watergate scandal in 1972, will speak on campus Friday, Feb. 22 at 6 p.m.

Woodward, currently the associate editor at the Washington Post, will speak at the Gloria and John L. Blackburn Academic Symposium Lecture in Sellers Auditorium at the Bryant Conference Center. Woodward’s work with Carl Bernstein on the Watergate scandal won the 1973 Pulitzer Prize for the Post. Additionally, Woodward was the Post’s primary reporter for its Pulitzer Prize-winning coverage of the 9/11 terrorist attacks and aftermath.

Mary Lee Caldwell, coordinator of the Blackburn Institute, said Woodward’s speech will be in conjunction with the Blackburn Institute Winter Symposium.

“The annual Blackburn Institute Winter Symposium serves as a convention for numerous leaders in Alabama,” Caldwell said. “Friday’s lecture is the public portion of the symposium.”

Woodward has worked for the Washington Post since 1971 and has co-authored or authored 17 national bestsellers. His most recent book, “The Price of Politics,” is based on 18 months of reporting and is an intimate, documented analysis of how President Obama and the highest profile Republican and Democratic leaders in the United States Congress tried to restore the American economy.

Woodward will also meet with fellows of the Blackburn Institute. Each year, 25 to 30 Blackburn fellows are selected at the University to participate in the Blackburn Initiative, a leadership development organization. Housed within the Division of Student Affairs at UA, the program is funded through contributions from private donors. In the words of Blackburn, membership in the Institute is not only an honor, but a lifetime obligation to becoming a change agent in one’s community.

Nursing, DCH to support recent UA graduates

Online brain training may keep minds sharp

Nashville-based band set to perform at Green Bar

“John L. Blackburn believed that strategic networking through the generations would bring about ethical change,” Caldwell said. “That is the purpose and focus of the Blackburn Institute.”

The event is free and open to the public.