Tide looks to keep streak going

The University of Alabama baseball team started its season 4-0 this week, but will soon take its show on the road for the first time in 2013. The Crimson Tide will travel to Boca Raton, Fla., this weekend to take on the Florida Atlantic University Owls.

“It’s been a good start. We had a good weekend. The young guys have come in and played extremely well, but it’s been an influx as well with our older guys,” head coach Mitch Gaspard said. “The next step now after the four home games is taking this team out on the road.”

Florida Atlantic swept Alabama to start the 2012 season. Gaspard said he’s more worried about getting wins on the road than getting revenge.

“It’s one of those things you don’t talk about it a whole lot, but the guys are very aware of the importance of road trips,” Gaspard said. “To do what we want to do, you’ve got to be good on the road and you’ve got to be good everywhere.”

The Crimson Tide’s hot start was powered by a group of freshmen hitters that meshed with the lineup much earlier than Gaspard expected. Gaspard said the young players aren’t getting overly confident with the early success. In fact, he thinks it could be good for the team.

“They really bring that youthful energy. There’s really no expectations on them right now – they’re just having a hell of a time playing,” he said. “That has spread throughout our team. You can see it.”

The one area Gaspard is looking for improvement is the team’s starting pitching. Over the last weekend, no starter went past 4.1 innings. But Tuesday, starter Taylor Guilbreau got the start and threw five innings in the win, putting pressure on the weekend staff.

“Really, I just want to keep my pitch count down. Just make every pitch,” John Keller, who is expected to start Saturday, said. “We have a really good defense, so if I can just keep it low, bottom of the strike zone, get a lot of ground balls for those guys, they’re going to make plays.”

Charley Sullivan is expected to start Friday, with Spencer Turnbill taking the mound Sunday to finish the series.

“They’re expected to go pitch well,” Gaspard said. “They’ve all been in every arena possible last year. I know how well they’ve pitched leading up to the season. I was not pleased with their starts last weekend. … That’s really what I want to see is those guys step up this weekend in their starts.”