Student finds dedication, passion in dance department

For Ashley Volner, creative movement was her first language. Dance is a way of expressing herself that extended beyond a hobby or extracurricular activity.

“Ever since I was a little girl, I knew that [dance] was the only way I was going to live life,” Volner said. “A lot of people, when they feel emotion, they put words to it. For me, when I feel emotion there is a way to move about it. I know that is so corny but that’s how my brain works.”

When her parents encouraged her to get a college degree, Volner was hesitant at first, but decided to study dance at The University of Alabama and, looking back, is very grateful.

“My parents just told me to get a degree,” she said. “They didn’t care what in, and since dance was the thing I felt I was good at, I majored in dance. I really honestly didn’t even want to go to college, but now, as a senior having gone through it, I know that I honestly needed this.”

Volner said the dance program at the University had a big impact on her as a dancer.

“The dance program at UA is all about being a diverse dancer and that is me in a nutshell,” she said. “I am not good at one thing, because I am so interested in everything. And UA is really good about allowing me to do every style of dance consistently, and I think that is going to help me with the real world, because people don’t just want a ballet dancer, they want a ballet dancer who can also move hip hop, who can also move contemporarily.”

The University has not only made her a diverse dancer on stage, but it has taught her what she can do offstage.

“Now I am able to run a light board, stage manage and organize functions,” she said. “I learned how to communicate in an organizational structure, and I couldn’t do that before.”

Volner has been a member of the Alabama Reparatory Dance Theatre (ARDT), the pre-professional dance company of The University of Alabama. She is president of Dance Alabama!, as well as both preforming and choreographing pieces for shows. Volner was also recently selected to show her work, on behalf of the Dance Department at The Alabama Dance Festival this past January.

Volner’s favorite part of the dance program has been Dance Alabama!, and as the group’s president, Volner said that she gets to see how a show goes on.

“I, along with the other dancers, get to help someone’s idea become real,” she said. “I love being in the studio with my colleagues and seeing their expressions when their work comes alive. It’s just amazing to watch them grow. Throughout the four years, I have seen my friends grow so much and it’s beautiful. To see what they are choreographing now, is inspiring.”

Dance Alabama! has also taught Volner about the behind-the-scenes work that goes into producing a show.

“I am in constant communication with our faculty and theater management,” she said. “I am always trying to put together schedules. I am getting phone calls and emails 24/7, but I like it.”

Volner said her favorite class she has taken at the University was dance history with Sarah Barry.

“I love understanding where everything I am doing is coming from,” she said. “Sarah Barry was really great at making it such an emotional experience, because facts are facts, but to learn to really appreciate them has made me appreciate my dancing even more. Plus I think it’s interesting. We came from a really interesting past.”

Dancing keeps Volner busy, but almost every dancer is used to long schedules, she said.

“I spend around 12 hours on campus on a regular day, between going to classes, rehearsals for faculty and rehearsals for my colleagues,” she said. “It’s funny because when we are doing a dress rehearsal, the faculty sits in the middle and behind them you can just see computer screens, because when we aren’t dancing, everyone is trying to do their homework.”

At times, balancing dance with schoolwork can be hard for Volner, especially because she has to keep her scholarship.

“There are times when I have to take the weekend and just stay in my room, but that’s just what I have to do,” she said.

John Virciglio, UA adjunct dance faculty, is Volner’s go-to mentor when stressed.

“He is actually that professor; when I am stressing out the most, he is the one I go to,” she said.

Volner has proven to be a valuable asset to the dance department and to Dance Alabama!, and will leave big shoes to fill, Virciglio said.

“Her love and dedication to help those within the program is unparalleled,” he said. “As far as her legacy goes, there is no doubt in my mind that she has made her mark on the department and all of those who have come in contact with her. I only hope that the next wave of individuals who are beginning their tenure within the department of dance can live up to the extremely high standards that have been set by Ashley.”

Volner plans to pursue a career in dance after college, and Virciglio believes she has what it takes.

“Ashley is an exceptionally talented young lady who is highly dedicated to her craft,” he said. “Her uniquely strong work ethic, combined with her passion and love of dance, has allowed her to position herself to be extremely successful with whatever she chooses to do after her collegiate career.”

New campus film festival hopes to resemble Sundance

Family Guy’s Seth MacFarlane should bring laughter, surprises to 2013 Oscar stage

Leather, sheer fabrics sure to stay this spring