Tutoring center offers free academic assistance

The Center for Academic Success offers many resources to assist students with academics, including a tutoring center. The services are provided for students free of charge.

“We serve a variety of students,” Holly Hallmann, director of academic success, said. “The myth is that we only serve students who are struggling, and that is not the case. We serve students who are struggling and students who have A’s.”

The mission of the center is for students to work smarter, not harder, and assist students in developing better study techniques.

“We have very competitive students here who want to maintain their high grades,” Hallmann said.

The center offers support in various academic areas.

“I started tutoring in the spring of 2010, back when we were known as the Center for Teaching and Learning,” Jason Lauer, a senior majoring in chemical engineering, said. “Since then, we have seen a great deal of growth in the services we offer.”

The tutoring center offers help in accounting, biological and computer sciences, economics, math, finance, Spanish and statistics.

“As far as I know, the Center for Academic Success is the only resource that offers services applicable to virtually all of the majors on campus,” Lauer said.

Katie Merkl, a junior majoring in pre-pharmacy, said she uses the center for help in various subjects.

“I use the tutoring center for help with chemistry and math,” Merkl said. “Mostly for chemistry, because it helps to get a different perspective from a tutor rather than the textbook or a teacher.”

The tutors won’t do homework for students, but they will provide students with additional aid on subjects to help them fully understand.

“The tutors always are happy to help with any questions I have,” Merkl said. “They don’t just give me the answer but an explanation and how to do the problems.”

Students can schedule an appointment for a single or group session.

“Basically, students can log on to our website and book a one-on-one tutorial session,” Lauer said. “The Center for Academic Success also offers various group tutorial sessions at Gorgas Library for classes like chemistry and physics.”

There are also prescheduled sessions you do not have to make an appointment for in chemistry, physics and math.

“We offer a range of services designed to help students get a handle on who they are,” Hallmann said. “I think there are so many resources available to students, and if they can just seek out those resources, they can get the assistance they need.”

The tutoring center is located in Osband Hall and open to all undergraduate students free of charge.

“My chemistry teacher expects us to learn all the material on our own, and that’s not always the easiest thing,” Merkl said. “It’s nice to have students to go to and get help.”

Many student tutors are employed by the center.

“We have incredible students that do a phenomenal job,” Hallmann said.

Graduate and undergraduate tutors can also help students transition from high school to college level courses.

“Some of the tutors have already taken the same class with the same instructor that I have, so they also give great advice on what to expect and what the instructors focus on for their exams,” Merkl said.

There are many other tutoring resources available on campus, with the center being one of the largest.

“We are one of the larger providers of tutoring, but many of the colleges have their own academic support,” Hallmann said. “It varies by college. We find out the students’ needs and refer them to the appropriate resource.”

The group tutoring sessions help create opportunities for students to find future study partners.

“If you don’t know anyone in your class to study with, it’s a great way to meet other students who are in class with you,” Merkl said.

[Opinion] TFA detrimental to impoverished kids 

[Opinion] Traditions, Christian values may cause younger marriage age in Alabama

Console gaming’s next generation coming with bunch of new hardware