Miss University of Alabama pageant on Saturday

The Miss University of Alabama Pageant will be held Saturday, Feb. 16, at the Bama Theatre at 7 p.m.

This pageant is a preliminary for the Miss Alabama Pageant in June, and then the winner of Miss Alabama goes on to the Miss America Pageant in January 2014 in Las Vegas.

“Contestants compete in a private interview with the judges, lifestyle and fitness, evening gown with an on-stage question and talent,” Miranda Ward, junior and contestant in the pageant, said.

A panel of five judges will choose a winner based on these five categories.

“Any woman between the ages of 17 and 24 enrolled as a student at The University of Alabama is eligible to compete,” Ward said.

There are 16 contestants in this year’s pageant. Each of these women are sponsored by a campus organization such as a sorority, fraternity or the SGA.

Ward said contestants have to submit a resume, platform essay and must have minimum GPA of 2.5. The winner of the pageant will receive a full tuition scholarship for a year to the University.

Carol Wright, director of the Miss University of Alabama Pageant, said last year’s winner, Caitlin Brunell, took home close to $50,000 worth of prizes, which included the tuition package.

“It’s a nice title to win,” Wright said. “The winner gets a lot of opportunities to meet people and make connections that could help them in the future.”

The scholarship also covers out-of–state tuition, which was particularly beneficial for Brunell, as she is from Florida. Brunell went on to the Miss Alabama Pageant and placed 3rd runner-up overall.

The Miss University of Alabama Pageant is sponsored by the National Alumni Association, and the winner gets to work with the NAA throughout their reign. Wright said the winner is able to travel with the Crimson Caravan tour alongside Nick Saban to visit alumni chapters across the country.

“Additionally, during her reign, she has the opportunity to promote her personal platform as well as the national platform, Children’s Miracle Network,” Ward said.

Wright said the last Miss University of Alabama to win Miss Alabama was Shannon Camper in 2004.

The doors of the Bama Theatre open at 6 p.m. on Saturday. Tickets are $15 for adults, $10 for students and $5 for children under 10.

“We are the City of Champions,” Wright said. “There is no reason we should not have a Miss America.”

[Opinion] Sometimes our critics really are secretly our friends: my study in hypocrisy

[Opinion] Members of Internet age must go back to dating basics

Sigma Alpha Mu holds Valentine’s sale