Alabama Blues Project heads up after-school program

In order to preserve the legacy of blues and musical appreciation, educational groups such as The Alabama Blues Project are reaching out to children in an effort to foster a passion for heritage, self-expression and music through their after-school program.

With a diverse student body of aspiring musicians, ABP stands at the forefront of progressive enrichment education. The ABP has now expanded to provide ample after-school time for children to learn skills from professional blues musicians in an encouraging, hands-on environment.

Based in historic downtown Northport, ABP is open for ages 8 to 18 and offers training in blues instrumental and vocal styles. Currently taking applications for the spring 2013 term, the after-school program provides pupils with a two-hour, one-day-a-week class geared toward activities that encourage artistic growth and cultural awareness at the local level.

“We typically have 50-60 kids each semester and summer, and usually 40 to 50 percent of them are returning,” Cara Lynn Smith, program director for ABP, said.

Smith has worked for five years as program director and said she values the rich heritage that ABP works to bring to the children of Alabama. When the enrollment numbers began to climb for the ABP, the cultural and social reverberations became evident.

“We found we were particularly helpful with at-risk children,” Smith said. “We grew from a one-room small camp to a seven-room camp of 50-60 kids each semester. Furthermore, our camps bring a very diverse mix together. We have kids from all over the Tuscaloosa area, from all different backgrounds.”

This is a multifaceted educational project that attempts to use the music that was born of suffering to provide young people with a context of how humanity has changed ideologically and artistically.

At the same time, The ABP supplies the means necessary to tear down the barriers that once defined what music could be and who could play it. By keeping this unique musical outlet relevant in the minds of children today, ABP hopes to foster a never-ending tradition of cultural and personal self expression.

ABP seeks to embrace the musical heritage within Alabama by exposing a young audience to the rich local history in and around the state. Founded by blues performer Debbie Bond in 1997 to honor the memory of Tuscaloosa Bluesman Johnny Shines, The Alabama Blues Project has since brought musical education, with a focus on blues, to countless local children.

Through the various summer camps and after-school programs offered by ABP, students are taught more than blues songs and chord progressions.

For more information about the spring after-school program or Alabama Blues Project, call (205) 752-6263 or email [email protected].

Red Bull hosts collegiate DJ contest at Rounders

Alabama soccer teams adds 9 on National Signing Day

Alabama softball team prepares for 2013 season