Positions open for CSC’s Beat Auburn Beat Hunger

The University of Alabama Community Service Center is seeking students interested in leadership and community change to join their staff this spring. The CSC is looking to fill student director and assistant student director positions for Beat Auburn Beat Hunger.

“The center is looking for students that are, first and foremost, excited about service and making a difference in the community,” Haley Clemons, a senior majoring in public relations, said. “Dedication and a genuine drive to promote volunteerism is a must.”

Clemons, the student director of PR and graphic design, said the CSC focuses on educating students on serving the community and in leadership, lifelong volunteerism and civil responsibility.

“More specifically, we connect students to meaningful service opportunities throughout the community and sometimes beyond,” Clemons said. “All staff members work together to create and manage service events, promote volunteerism and get everyone excited about giving back.”

Student directors and assistant directors work together in social project planning as well as engaging the community to assist in community service.

“As the student director of arts, youth and education at the Community Service Center, I am responsible for brainstorming innovative and effective methods of outreach to the youth in the Tuscaloosa community; placing a high emphasis on education and the arts,” Phillip Sullivan, a junior majoring in consumer affairs, said. “I am also responsible for providing guidance for my four assistant student directors who recruit fellow UA students to come and volunteer with them at their service locations each week.”

(See also “Community Service Center helps students get involved”)

Student leaders plan events and help in community service projects in seven different areas.

“The center has several focus areas that allow students to advocate service, gain valuable work experience and learn, as well,” Clemons said.

Several of the programs sponsored by the CSC are Alternative Break, Civic Engagement & Outreach, Bama Blitz, Beat Auburn Beat Hunger, House United and Sleep Out on the Quad.

“If someone has a heart for a particular type of service and would like to make it their focus, these focus areas make it possible,” Clemons said. “Although, we all work together at the center as a team to make each and every event a successful one.”

Students who are interested in getting involved can visit the volunteer at UA website to apply. The applications provide a list of duties and responsibilities for the staff positions available.

“The most rewarding and beneficial aspects of my job as a student director are the bonds that I have built with such great people who have a common goal of bettering our community through service to mankind,” Sullivan said.

Clemons said there are many benefits to joining the staff at the CSC that go beyond resume building.

“Most importantly, you become a part of something bigger than yourself; you are able to see a change in the community and know that you were a part of it,” Clemons said. “It is a unique and special experience.”

The deadline to turn in applications is Friday, February 22 by 5 p.m. For any additional questions, contact Wahnee Sherman.

Crimson Tide Ballroom Dancers offer lessons, dances

TideTalks to showcase students, based on TED Talks

Tide tennis looks to carry intensity of last week into doubleheader