Rece Davis tells students to seize days at Alabama

Cora Lindholm

ESPN Rece Davis_Lindholm_2

Most Crimson Tide fans did not have to be covert about their loyalties during the BCS National Championship game on Jan. 7.

However, ESPN anchor and UA graduate, Rece Davis said he was forced to silently root for his alma mater during the game because it was probably not in his best interest to venture into fandom on national television.

“Because of that, when I say, ‘Chance Warmack is the best offensive lineman in the country,’ people believe me and don’t think I’m just being an Alabama fan,” Davis said.

Davis spoke to a packed room Jan. 31 in the Ferguson Center about the importance of going after what you want to do, despite the opposition you might receive.

“Not everybody is going to share your vision,” Davis said. “There were plenty of people who told me, ‘You’ll never make it to ESPN.’”

Davis, a 1988 graduate, was the guest speaker at an event hosted by The University of Alabama Program in Sports Communication. Davis was the second speaker APSC has brought to the University this school year. ESPN executive chairman, George Bodenheimer, came to the Capstone last fall.

Davis attributed much of his success to his time at the University and the mentors and teachers he had as a student.

“I would not be here if I didn’t have the foundation I got at the University,” Davis said. “The best thing I learned at Alabama was how to learn.”

Learning was a big part of the process in Davis’ journey at ESPN, he said. He covered some events that he did not like or fully understand, but said that is what students need to do sometimes to get to where they want to go.

“You have to be able to do anything, and you will learn to appreciate everything along the way,” Davis said. “Versatility is key. It makes you more valuable.”

Maggie O’Keeffe, a freshman majoring in telecommunication and film, aspires to be a play-by-play baseball announcer one day. She said she liked that Davis talked about embracing who you are in this industry.

“You get conflicting messages about that a lot,” O’Keeffe said. “Should I fit the mold, try to do this or that or just be me? For him to say that really cemented that for me.”

Davis encouraged students interested in broadcasting or reporting to get as much experience as possible and to find the right people who can help you make it to where you want to go.

“You can try everything you want to, but nothing will replace experience and repetition on the air,” Davis said.

Patrick Brickman, a junior majoring in telecommunication and film, also hopes to be a news anchor in the future. He said he admires Davis’ humility, and the hunger he has to keep improving.

“All he talked about was getting better,” Brickman said. “He’s got a job that I would kill for, but he still is not satisfied.”

Davis focuses on poise, presence, personality and preparation and hopes these things will help him have staying power and longevity, something hard to come by in his industry, he said.

“There’s nothing I could tell those who aspire to be in this profession that is ‘the’ answer,” Davis said. “When it’s important to you, you can make it happen.”

Tide not feeling pressure as defending champs 

Elliot Society aims to educate Tuscaloosa community

Crimson Tide gymnastics team falls to Georgia