SportsCenter Anchor and UA Alum Rece Davis to speak in Ferguson Center Theatre

ESPN’s SportsCenter anchor and University of Alabama alumnus Rece Davis will speak at the Ferguson Student Center Theater today at 11 a.m. in an event sponsored by the University of Alabama Program in Sports Communication.

Andrew Billings, director of APSC, said it is obvious why the program invited Davis to be a guest speaker.

“Rece is one of those faces and names we invite into our living room during the year,” Billings said. “He is synonymous with football and culture in Alabama and the South.”

Billings said just like our university wants to be the best in sports, our students want to be the best in the sports industry.

“Jobs in sports are incredibly competitive, and I think hearing from people in the industry can provide a lot of insight to them,” Billings said. “People like Rece can shed light on how you can make it in this industry.”

Even though the program in sports communication is in its first year, this is the second big name that they have brought in as a speaker. ESPN Executive Chairman George Bodenheimer spoke last October to more than 500 students, faculty and others.

Billings said he hopes bringing in such big names will put the new program in sports communication on the map.

“Since we’re in year one, we’re still in the promotion stage and getting the word out,” Billings said. “I’m hoping this will be another way that people will look to the University of Alabama for this kind of work.”

Kenon Brown, assistant professor of public relations and faculty fellow in the program in sports communication, said this will be a great opportunity for the large number of students that want to work in the sports field.

“There are more opportunities to work in sports than just being a reporter,” Brown said. “We want to give them the tools, and I think [Davis] will be a valuable tool and resource for them to break into this world.”

Davis will offer a short lecture, then field questions from the audience. The event is free and open to all students, faculty and outside public.

Also in today’s Crimson White:

Polar Plunge includes dip in cold water, hot drinks and ice sculpture

Downright to play at Green Bar Friday

Change in military policy allows women to serve in combat roles