Rec center manages increased visits

Whether students have New Year’s resolutions or are getting their beach bodies ready for spring break, the beginning of spring semester is one of the busiest times of the year at the University Recreation Center.

The first few days of this semester have already seen 20 to 25 percent more visitors than this time last year, Kristen Durham, associate director of recreational services, said.

On Aug. 28, 2012 the Rec recorded 3,600 visits, while on Jan. 15 of this year, 4,400 were recorded. The increase in crowd sizes may discourage some students from wanting to attend, but Durham said students shouldn’t let the numbers keep them away.

“I think there is a bad perception that we are packed and people are getting turned away, but that’s not the case,” Durham said. “People are not having to wait, and they’re finding spaces.”

Durham said the Rec handles the crowd by additional supervisor spots during the highest volume hours in an effort to have more of a presence on the floor, stay on top of cleaning and towels and ensure building safety. She also said students are helping out as well by visiting earlier. Group classes at 6 a.m. are busier than they have ever been, she said.

George Brown, executive director of university recreation, said he is thrilled about the traffic of the new semester, and staff at the Rec are doing everything they can to maintain the safety of the building with the increase in demand.

“We look forward to this every year, and we’re very excited about it,” Brown said.

In the last 10 days, the Rec has recorded its two busiest days in history, and, if the trend continues, Brown said they are looking at 36,000 visits within the first 10 days.

Whitney Spota, coordinator of group exercise and noncredit instruction, said the Rec Center has added more group classes to its schedule over the past year, offering more than 100 classes per week from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m., as well as weekend classes. However, she said there are also alternative ways for a student to fit group exercise into their schedules.

“If you just can’t make it to a class, we’ll bring group exercise to you,” Spota said.

Spota said many sororities and residential halls are taking advantage of the in-home classes that can be scheduled for a fee after 7 p.m. She also encouraged students to check out group classes at the Aquatic Center, which offers eight classes per week that do not require a pass.

The new Student Center at Presidential Village is scheduled to open in spring of 2014, and should help relieve the crowds at the Rec. The new facility will include a climbing wall, group exercise rooms, basketball courts, and cardio and weight stations.