Classical pianist to give free performance tonight

article.217461Renowned pianist Lynn Rice-See will be performing a free concert at Moody’s Concert Hall on Tuesday, Jan. 15 at 7:30 p.m.

Originally from Huntsville Ala., Rice-See currently is a piano professor at Middle Tennessee State University.

Known for her classical style and the professor will be performing various recital works from Haydn, Schumann and Strauss. This performance will be her first appearance on the UA campus.

Kevin Chance, an instructor in the UA School of Music is a good friend of Rice-See and is looking forward to her performance.

“The Schumann work she will play is Kreisleriana, which is among Schumann’s most famous works, and it is particularly fascinating as literature,” he said. “The piece has been described as psychological music-drama based on the character Johannes Kreisler in the novels of E.T.A. Hoffman, and it contains some of Schumann’s most beautiful and virtuosic moments.”

Chance said Rice-See is an internationally regarded pianist, and a widely respected musician that has performed recitals throughout the world.

Rice-See has performed at many concert locations and said she has memories in both foreign countries and places that hit closer to home.

“I played a recital at Carnegie Recital Hall in 1983, and that was definitely a favorite,” she said.

Additionally, Rice-See has performed three concerts in the Czech Republic, and has also performed multiple shows in Fairhope, Ala. at the Eastern Shore Art Center.

As a seasoned performer, Rice-See offered advice for students in the College of Music, or those looking to further their musical interests.

“Love what you do and put your entire heart and soul into it,” she said.

Tonight’s performance will be open to the public. For more information about Rice-See and other School of Music events visit music.ua.edu or call (205) 348-7111.

If You Go…

What: Guest piano performance by Lynn Rice-See

When: Tuesday, Jan. 15 at 7:30 p.m.

Where Moody Concert Hall