SUPe store manages usual early semester rush

During the beginning of each semester, The University of Alabama Supply Store implements extra workers, additional registers and online options to serve approximately two and half times the typical amount of customers each day throughout the first week of classes.

To manage the volume of customers, Supply Store Director Teresa Shreve said the SUPe Store hires extra staff to assist with preparing for the book rush as well as assisting customers at the start of each semester. To prevent book shortages, staff members work some days during the holidays processing shipments in order to be better stocked, she said.

“Additional training is conducted with the staff in order to better serve the University community,” Shreve said.

Molly Moore, a junior majoring in public relations, was in and out of the SUPe Store in 20 minutes, which she said was much faster than in the past.

“Considering the amount of people that they have the first week of classes, they do a pretty good job,” Moore said.

Moore attributed the quick service to the amount of employees helping students.

“Two workers came up to me immediately and asked if I needed help,” Moore said. “In the past you had to go find them to ask a question.”

The SUPe Store also provides course material information on the University registrar’s website and the store website, so students know what they need to purchase or rent when they come to the SUPe Store.

In addition, students can order all their books and course materials online, to be picked up in-store.

“Students who order online through the store’s website are able to select in-store pick-up instead of having to pay for shipping, which saves them money,” Shreve said.

Tiffany Dargan, a senior majoring in exercise and sports science, picked up her online order inside the SUPe Store. She said she has switched to ordering books online after buying inside the store a few times.

“It’s quicker,” Dargan said. “You just come in and pick up instead of looking around for your books.”

Dargan said the online option creates a smaller crowd in the store, which helps out the students searching for their books. She also prefers buying online because of the convenience.

“Online I can see exactly what I need and compare prices before I buy,” Dargan said.

According to Shreve, the SUPe Store offers various format and price options such as new, used, binder-ready, electronic books or rental.

“These options are offered in the store as well as online to assist students with stretching their educational funds,” Shreve said.