APO presents ‘All in the Timing’ for final fall show

The Gamma Gamma cast of national theatre honor society Alpha Psi Omega will close the fall semester with their performance of “All in the Timing”

Alpha Psi Omega is made up of undergraduate performers and technical theatre artists and is known on campus for its late night Guerrilla Theatre shows.

Written by American playwright, David Ives, “All in the Timing” was originally a collection of six one-act plays. Since its 1994 publishing it has been updated to include more. Most of the one-acts are comedies that deal mainly with play-on-words, romantic relationships and perspectives on life.

Tommy Walker, a senior majoring in musical theatre, is directing this APO production. He added three more of Ives’ shorter plays from the newer edition to accommodate the large turnout at auditions, the number of technical volunteers and membership.

“We have a cast of 24, including lots of doubling characters. A huge chunk of the organization is involved,” Walker said.

In preparing the show, Walker had to find a way to bring together all of the seemingly unrelated vignettes.

“I had to find a cohesive tone that would bring all of these plays together as one production,” Walker said. “I found them to all include intellectual, creepy, hysterical and over-the-top moments as I found each of them to reside somewhere floating above reality.”

This perspective inspired Walker and the design team to adopt a “Dali’s Flying Circus: Starring the Looney Tunes” theme to be applied to the show’s production elements. The artist Salvador Dali and the Warner Bros. cartoon influence allowed for a suspension of belief and abstract profoundness, Walker said.

“Pre-show and set changes involve acrobatics and tricks as well as fun music and a whimsical color palette. This is not to be misconstrued with a shtick of any sort however. This concept is merely a vehicle to place these nine different plays in a universe that allows them to be isolated and focus on their story when their turn arrives, yet retain a sense of unity for the production as a whole,” Walker said.

Karina Simonis, a sophomore majoring in musical theatre and APO member, is a cast member who said putting on “All in the Timing” has been one of her most challenging theatre experiences. She is double-cast in the “Philip Glass Buys a Loaf of Bread” one-act in which the minimalist composer, Philip Glass has an existential crisis in a bakery. However, through the difficult subject matter she has appreciated the supportive atmosphere this APO show has fostered.

“It’s been very relaxed and professional,” Simonis said. “Since everyone in the show is students you get to pitch in your own ideas, and that’s been great.”

As opening night approaches, Walker is confident in “All in the Timing.”

“I chose ‘All in the Timing,’ because it sits in a style of theatre that not only intrigues me, but challenges me. I wanted to do something that appealed to APO by having a large cast and production value, but also I wanted to direct a show that pushed me to explore new methods, ideas and directing objectives. That and its just plain good and hilarious writing. I am still learning, so this was my major learning experience with such a huge beast. I think we made some interesting and fun choices,” Walker said.

“All in the Timing” will be performed in the Allen Bales Theatre, Dec. 6 and 7 at 8 p.m. Tickets are $5.