UA Safe Zone offers support, awareness for LGBTQA community

UA Safe Zone, an on-campus organization, strives to educate University of Alabama students about lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer needs, as well as providing these individuals with support and increased awareness to other students of their presence on the University’s campus.

The program, founded at the University in 2002, also focuses on assisting with LGBTQ needs, fostering a university climate where all individuals have the right to be treated with dignity, respect, and self-worth, and advocacy for safe environments.

“Safe Zone is a program that strives to create safe spaces on UA’s campus with regards to sexual and gender identity and expression,” said Noah Cannon, president of Spectrum and coordinator of UA Safe Zone.

Safe Zone partners with Spectrum and Capstone Alliance, two other LGBTQ student and faculty support groups, to host events to educate the student body.

While this organization is about LGBTQ needs, it is also about the education of students, faculty and staff on the University’s campus. The organization works collaboratively with other groups on campus and provides educational materials and programming regarding LGBTQ needs and concerns.

“Safe Zone offers monthly trainings that provide reliable information on sexual and gender identity and expression as well as instruction on how to be an ally to the LGBTQ+ community,” Cannon said.

Trainings are open to faculty, staff and students, and at the end of each training session, participants have the option of becoming a Safe Zone ally.

“Safe Zone allies make up an established, visible network of individuals on campus, recognizable by the Safe Zone sticker or button,” Cannon said. “Trainings also focus on making classrooms and curriculums LGBTQ+ friendly and inclusive.”

Brooke Miller, a senior majoring in public relations, became Safe Zone certified while completing requirements to become a resident advisor.

“Training opened my eyes to issues and problems I was unaware of, especially in regards to housing,” Miller said. “I’m now more sympathetic to students that encounter these situations.”

Safe Zone and its allies are becoming a prominent support group around campus.

“For many LGBTQ+ students such as myself, the Safe Zone emblem is the first sign of support you see when initially stepping onto campus,” Cannon aid. “It is invaluable to have that visible sign of support from your professors and RA’s.”

The Safe Zone office is located in the Women’s Resource Center in the South Lawn Office building. Students with concerns or complaints about LGBTQ harassment or exclusion are encouraged to contact Safe Zone via phone, email or in person at the Safe Zone office.