Students find ways to eat locally year-round

Cities around the United States are seeing a growing trend in local farmers markets where residents can buy food they know is grown in the same state they call home. The trend has led to a new name for participating consumers: a locavore. Such a person is defined as someone interested in eating food that is locally produced and not transported long distances to market.

Among the reasons to eat locally grown food, the one that tends to top everyone’s list is that the food is healthier and tastes better than chemically altered and processed foods you may find in a grocery store.

It is also better for local economies, as farmers are able to retain their farmland because they are profiting off their products directly.

The local food concept is the foundation of Homegrown Alabama, the campus farmers market that is set up on the Canterbury Episcopal Chapel lawn Thursdays from April 12 until Oct. 27 from 3 to 6 p.m.

Homegrown Alabama is a student-led group at The University of Alabama that seeks to educate students about the value of local produce, as well as foster partnerships between local farmers and the University.

Mo Fiorella, market manager for Homegrown Alabama, said Homegrown tries to make sure nothing sold at the farmers market comes from more than three hours away from Tuscaloosa.

“That’s the whole point of our farmers market,” Fiorella said. “The closer farmers get preference, because we want it to count as genuinely local.”

Fiorella said it is a common misconception that farmers markets only sell fruits and vegetables, but Homegrown often offers products like goat cheese, jams, jellies, freshly baked bread, cheese straws, pickles, peppers, loose leaf teas, skin care products, cold remedies, beef, pork and eggs.

Fiorella said among the most popular student purchased items are pre-made meals, especially for those living in dorms that do not have access to a kitchen to cook their own meals. Also, Fiorella said students buy a lot of pre-made snacks and beverages offered by Chloe’s Cup.

“It is a lot of both students and adults that attend the market,” Fiorella said. “There are a lot of non-traditional students, and older students.”

On certain Thursdays Fiorella said the market has live music, kids crafts and extra vendors.

“We want to give the all-around experience, not just shopping,” Fiorella said.

Brooke Miller, a senior majoring in public relations, likes to buy homemade, organic soaps, flowers and in-season berries from Homegrown Alabama.

“I don’t get to go as much as I like because it can be expensive,” Miller said. “Also, I live in the residence halls, so it is a lot harder for me to cook my own food. But I think it is great to support local farmers.”

Casey Ellis, a sophomore majoring in international studies, likes to buy vegan food from Manna Grocery.

“I like to eat vegan because animal rights are important to me, and it makes my body feel so much better,” Ellis said.

Fiorella also noted Manna as an option for local food, as the markets are not able to run year-round.

“Manna is the best place for local produce,” Fiorella said. “They have a lot of local products and carry a lot of the same vendors we have at our market.”

Fiorella said although Homegrown is closing for the winter, Tuscaloosa River Market will stay open through December and re-open in March, so for locavores, the winter hiatus won’t be too long.