UA students surpass other state universities

Judy Bonner, The University of Alabama’s new president, told the Board of Trustees of the UA System this year’s class is the largest and most academically talented in UA history, and according to academic surveys and statistics, she’s right.

Bonner was referring to the growth of the size and prestige of the undergraduate population at the University, which, with a historically high 28,026 students, is the largest in the state. Academically, the average ACT score of this year’s 6,397 freshmen increased by more than a point and now sits at 25.6.

The University has continued to grow and surpass the other 13 public universities in the state in many areas. A College Board document called “The College Completion Agenda: 2011 Progress Report” showed 47.1 percent of college students in the state of Alabama pursuing a bachelor’s degree graduate in four to six years.

A survey by US News and World Report showed the University boasts the highest graduation rate in the state. According to the survey, 38 percent of UA students graduate in four years. Auburn University is close behind with 36 percent, followed by the University of Alabama at Birmingham at 17 percent.

Even with the highest graduation rate, the University accepts the fewest applicants of any in the state. According to the US News and World Report, the Capstone accepts only 43.5 percent of its annual applicants. Auburn accepts 70 percent, and the University of Alabama in Huntsville accepts 63.7 percent.

Bonner’s presentation also showed undergraduate degrees awarded by colleges in the state have increased 16 percent in the last five years. Half of those new degrees came from the University.

Mitch Green, a senior majoring in communication studies, attributed the University’s growth in population and prestige to the school’s strong football program.

“The attraction of Alabama’s campus is better than Auburn’s,” Green said. “The football team attracts a massive amount of people, and because there is a massvie amount of people who attend school here, more people graduate. If you graduate college, you’re most likely going to get a bachelor’s degree.”

John Morgan Davenport, a junior majoring in public relations, disagreed. Davenport said the growth was caused by strong teaching and the success of major programs.

“I think we have a better staff than most schools,” Davenport said. “The teachers are always willing to help when you ask.

“Our PR program is top-ranked, our business school is outstanding, and on top of that the atmosphere on campus encourages students to stay here and graduate.”