ARDT fall concert showcases faculty’s choreography

The Alabama Repertory Dance Theater fall concert, a faculty choreographed showcase of technical ability and storytelling performed by University of Alabama dance majors, will host the season’s first performance Tuesday, Nov. 6.

The ARDT fall concert showcases faculty-choreographed pieces and differs from “Dance Alabama!,” which showcases student choreography.

“The company is performing truly challenging work at the highest level,” Cornelius Carter, director of the dance program and artistic director of ARDT, said.

Carter said the caliber of talent in the dance program is so high this year that when representatives came from the Broadway Dance Center in New York to watch “Dance Alabama!” performances, they ended up awarding six scholarships to students in the dance program.

Rita Snyder, associate professor of dance, staged one piece for ARDT and choreographed a second.

Snyder’s first piece is traditional choreography staged after Marius Petipa’s choreography. Snyder said this is a piece of classical ballet repertoire, and she staged it with the assistance of her husband.

“This is a piece traditionally performed by principles of major companies, so it’s a good piece for students to perform,” Snyder said.

The second piece features modern choreography that Snyder titled “Echoes in the Wind.”

“’Echoes in the Wind’ doesn’t have a specific story. It’s more like movement poetry, so I’m hoping the audience will get a sense of who these people are without a story,” Snyder said.

Aaron Carter, a freshman majoring in dance and chemistry, participated in the “Dance Alabama!” fall concert, but said the performances and experiences of both concerts are vastly different.

“’Dance Alabama!’ was cool to see the students’ choreography,” Carter said. “I’m having fun with this to see the more professional aspect. It’s interesting to see the correlation between teachers, since it’s their job, and students.”

Kathryn Annkey, a senior majoring in dance, has been able to participate in all aspects of the dance department. Annkey has choreographed for “Dance Alabama!” and is the lead in John Virciglio’s ARDT piece, “Sweet Dreams.” Annkey said this ARDT concert is bittersweet for her.

“I feel like the professors here taught me in dance and in life,” Annkey said. “They give us advice on life decisions.”

Annkey said the greatest part of her experience in UA’s dance program has been the bonds she has been able to form.

“Everyone is really close and really supportive of each other,” Annkey said. “You get close as a cast and as a department.”

The concert will run Nov. 6-8 at 7:30 p.m. and Nov. 9 at 5:30 p.m. in Morgan Auditorium. Tickets can be purchased through the Department of Theatre and Dance web page, at the box office in Rowand-Johnson Hall or at the door the night of the show.