Family-friendly Homecoming atmosphere ideal setting for community

Homecoming is a weekend that many Alabama fans look forward to each year. While the opposing team is always important during football season, the days surrounding Homecoming are full of activities and school spirit for all Crimson Tide fans – students, alumni  and in the UA community.

For UA students, the greek community in particular, Homecoming is one of the busiest and most exciting weeks of the semester, if not the year. With events such as bowling, basketball, dodgeball, dance competitions and a celebratory bonfire on Friday, students are able to engage and support their fellow peers. And let’s not forget Homecoming Queen elections, equally as political as SGA elections and fun to watch during halftime of the game. Other student organizations and colleges work all week on intricate lawn decorations consisting of small, paper pomps in chicken wire frames. The designs are kept secret until they are revealed on Saturday for public viewing, and they are then judged by Homecoming committee members. Arguably, this week unifies the student body more so than any other event, excepting bowl or championship games.

For alumni, Homecoming is a time to come back to campus years and decades later to reminisce about their student years. Many of them enjoy seeing the changes made to campus and retracing their steps as UA students. It’s a time to meet up with old friends and sorority sisters or bring families and show them around campus in addition to cheering on the Crimson Tide.

But Homecoming is not just for current and former students. The family-friendly atmosphere makes an ideal setting for the Tuscaloosa community. Many of the University’s current students grew up attending Homecoming or visiting with family and friends for the festivities. For out-of-state students, Homecoming offers a great time to have parents or high school friends experience the spirit of the Crimson Tide. The large lawn decorations make for a great attraction and time-waster before heading into Bryant-Denny. Families and young children can be seen posing for photos outside various sorority houses and their lawn decorations. The Homecoming parade also provides a fun activity for any attendee, and parents are always happy to cheer for their students as they march down the street and ride on the floats.

While much of the fall semester is dominated solely by focus on the game, Homecoming allows the focus to shift to the tradition and legacy of the University and the fans who call it home.