Air Force ROTC hosts Pumpkin Carve

The Air Force ROTC program will host its first Pumpkin Carve on Friday, Oct. 26, to raise money to buy care packages for soldiers overseas.

This SGA-sponsored event will be open to all students, faculty and the public from noon to 8 p.m. on the lawn of the U.S. Bureau of Mines building. Carved pumpkins will be displayed and judged by Air Force ROTC instructors, and prizes will be rewarded to the winners.

More than 300 pumpkins will be available to purchase for either $5 or $8 each, depending on size. Participants can keep their carved pumpkins after the event for $10. Cash or check donations can also be made at the door. UA students can use Bama Cash to pay for pumpkins.

Kyle Zimmerman, ROTC special projects officer, said the event will open at 9 a.m. for certain campus organizations and local schools, including The Rise Center.

“Hopefully it’s a good way to get the community involved with our detachment,” Zimmerman said.

The event will also feature music, games, and giveaways, but Zimmerman said the main focus is th e soldiers.

“One of the principles of the Air Force is ‘service before self’ and this is our way to give back to them,” he said.

Members of the Air Force ROTC are hoping for a good turnout to support their cause.

“This will be a fun event celebrating the Halloween season,” said senior Brett Machen. “We hope that everyone will come and enjoy the festivities as well as the opportunity to support our troops overseas.”