Creative Campus hosts DIY UA

Creative Campus is in the development stages of a do-it-yourself series that will allow student art making and hands on projects through interactive events.

“Part of Creative Campus’s objective is to spread artistic diversity throughout the UA campus,” Shiori Ito, Creative Campus intern and leader of DIY UA, said.

Each week will have a different DIY focus, and the events will be held bi-weekly throughout the school year. Although the project is not fully off the ground yet, the first session will begin Nov. 13 from 6 to 7 p.m.

“Creative Campus is designed to connect people while turning innovative ideas into action,” Katherine Howard, one of the students working on the project, said. “In many ways, this is DIY UA’s goal.”

The first session will be a tutorial teaching students basic knitting skills, and the second will be an overview of candle making. Both sessions will be held in Maxwell Hall, the Creative Campus building.

“We also want to start a Cooking in the Dorms video series, where students teach students how to cook simple and chap dishes that don’t require many supplies or much equipment,” Howard said.

The club requires no monthly or annual dues. Students may be required to bring some of their own materials, but other materials will be provided by DIY UA.

Information about the projects and materials will be provided in a monthly newsletter, and the same information will be posted on the Creative Campus website. Details of what to bring, what will be provided and where students wishing to participate can purchase materials for the lowest cost will be provided in the newsletter.

Students can sign up to receive the newsletter at creativecampus.ua.edu.

“We want to give students the opportunity to connect with each other while creating through various projects,” Howard said.