New bigger, better Starbucks opens with ribbon cutting ceremony

The Ferguson Center celebrated the grand opening of the new Starbucks on Monday with a ribbon cutting ceremony in its new location on the bottom floor across from the SUPeStore.

A crowd began forming around the area at 7 a.m. and included enthusiastic students and faculty.

“Everyone involved in the event, as well as students welcoming the new Starbucks, had the opportunity to win assorted prizes and gifts and play games of coffee pong, as well as having all of the faculty members in charge of the new development sign a cup to mark the grand opening,” Sara Kolodziejczak, marketing graphic design coordinator for Bama Dining, said.

Will Pylant, Student Government Association vice president for student affairs, said the opening revealed the largest Starbucks on any college campus.

However, a Starbucks spokesperson said this location is not their largest store.

“Starbucks has been a lot of help to our university,” Pylant said. “It has been a collaborative effort to provide for those who love Starbucks and to make sure there are great options to students across our campus.”

The new facility has over two dozen tables for students to sit, as well as a sizable bar with plenty of space for the large lines already beginning to file in for the grand opening. The bar almost tripled the previous Starbucks location on the second floor of the Ferguson Center.

Vice President of Financial Affairs Lynda Gilbert was mastermind behind the new Starbucks idea and location at UA.

“She had the vision and the fortitude to fight the fight for us for six plus years to get the new space,” said AJ DeFalco, resident district manager for Bama Dining. “Without her help, we never would have gotten here.”

But the new Starbucks is not yet finished. On Nov. 2 and 3, the large windows in the front of the lower level of the Ferguson will be replaced with glass doors facing the fountain.

“These doors will not only open up the entrance to the Starbucks, but it will create more seating for students to relax on campus,” Defalko said.

Pylant is also excited for the cosmetic work the Ferguson Center will have next month to better the Starbucks even further.

“It will be great to give the students an opportunity to sit outside with their coffee,” Pylant said.

The new Starbucks on campus in now open to the public from 7 a.m. until midnight during the week and until 9 p.m. on weekends for the public.