Tuscaloosa tailgating a league of its own

Tailgating is one of the most anticipated events on Gameday weekends. Each home game brings a heightened energy to campus, and along with it, an Alabama tradition. For many schools, tailgating is just an activity that a handful of fans participate in, but for Tuscaloosa, tailgating, and the atmosphere that comes with it, is considered by many to be in a league of its own.

As a freshman student, I was amazed at not just the effort fans put in to having the “perfect” tailgate, but also the collaboration of the University. Rows of port-a-johns and half-raised, white tents decorate the Quad and surrounding sidewalks as early in the week as Wednesday, and the mayhem continues until hours after the fourth quarter ends.

The tents, the food, the fashion and the community can explain what separates Alabama’s (and other SEC schools) tailgating from the rest.

Not only is your plot of grass on the Quad prime real estate, but it’s also your home for Gameday. For many fans, a white tent and a few lawn chairs are not enough, and the decorating continues with strung lights, Bama flags, multiple fans, buffet tables, personal televisions and gaming consoles – in case anyone becomes bored.

To fill those buffet tables adorned in festive tablecloths is a task in itself, and Alabama fans don’t skimp on their pregame munchies. From barbecue sandwiches, ribs, and buffalo wings, to classic dishes of salsa and chips or catered food by the University, Gameday foods are delicious and bountiful. And let’s not forget the traditional drinks such as Yellowhammers, Arnold Palmers, Jack and Coke, and lots and lots of beer.

While Gameday fashion varies widely, many ladies choose to sport dresses and heels and the guys collared shirts and khaki pants for the big games, regardless of rain or shine. Dressing up for football games seems unnecessary for some, but for many Alabama fans, this is just another way to show their spirit, and class.

Aside from all the tangible aspects of Gameday tailgates, the activity offers something more to fans: the sense of community. While your personal tailgate may include parents and close friends, the tent two down from yours may include your roommate’s family, sorority sister, or friends you met through tailgating in the same spot. Each person shares something in common with everyone else, enjoying the sport and lifestyle of football in the south, and being able to share it with others.