Capstone church to host benefit concert featuring Steve Moakler

Artists Caleb Sigler and Charity Vance will perform the opening acts to headliner Steve Moakler at Alabama International Justice Mission’s benefit concert this Friday.

Alabama International Justice Mission is a faith-based organization that exists to serve IJM through raising awareness of trafficking and slavery and raising funds for their missions.

The concert will be held at Capstone Church on University Boulevard at 8 p.m. as part of its annual Fall Justice Week.

“We are extremely committed to integrity in our fundraisers as we understand that literally every dollar goes toward rescue and rehabilitation operations for the oppressed worldwide,” Darby Hess, the vice president of Alabama IJM, said.

Moakler created his own nonprofit organization in 2011 called Free the Birds, which funds freedom and restoration for women and children who have been exploited by human sex trafficking.

Free the Birds partners with Love146, an organization dedicated to after-care and restoration of those who have been involved in trafficking, in order to prevent the victims from being cycled back into slavery.

“I emailed his agent Tim and then we met him at the concert where we found out Steve has his own ministry to benefit after care for trafficking victims,” Josh Sigler, president of Alabama IJM said. “It was at that point we realized that it had to be him to play.”

Hess said Alabama IJM is still in awe of how perfectly Moakler fit as their performer.

“We are honored to have him,” Hess said. “Not only is he incredibly talented musically, but he shares the same heart for justice.”

Other events for Justice Week include a daily bake sale in the Ferguson Center until Sept. 21 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., a screening of “Call + Response” in Lloyd Room 38 on Wednesday, Sept. 19 at 8 p.m. and a speech from IJM Peru Affiliate at the Kappa Alpha Theta house at 7 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 20.

“We feel all the events of Justice Week are equally as important as the concert,” Josh Sigler said. “There are people coming from literally all over the world to share their stories.”

Hess said she sees the event as another opportunity to celebrate her generation’s involvement in reaching out to the oppressed.

“I look forward to seeing this concert unite students from all areas of campus for one cause: freedom,” she said. “We all value human life, and at this point in history, there are 27 million enslaved. Those two facts combined should compel us to act.”

Tickets for the concert are $10 and can be purchased at the door. All proceeds collected from the concert go directly to the IJM headquarters.