Colorado brewery brings beer to Alabama

Alabamians will now be able to enjoy quality craft beer from a can thanks to Oskar Blues Brewery. The Colorado-based brewery will be launching their beers today in Tuscaloosa and throughout the state to spread the word about their southern debut.

Founded by Alabama natives Chris and Dale Katechis, the idea for a brewery originated while operating a restaurant in in Lyons, Colo.

“It started out in our Cajun restaurant,” Chris Katechis said. “Colorado is known as the Napa Valley of beer, and towns here love good craft beer. Customers started asking for beer — the more beer the better. So we started brewing in a garage, and it just took off.”

Katechis’ brother Dale had experience in brewing from his college days, and after weighing the options, they decided to veer away from typical bottled beer and use cans.

“Keg beer is the freshest way to serve beer, and it’s the same thing for a can, a 12 ounce keg,” Katechis said. “The keg keeps out the sunlight, which kills everything, that’s why bottles are brown colored. By using a can, you have a better shelf life, it’s 100 percent recyclable, portable and we lessen our carbon footprint by one-third.”

After deciding to use cans, the brothers knew they would have to step up and educate consumers and retailers about the quality of canned craft beers.

“We definitely met some resistance in Colorado, but not in Alabama,” Dale Katechis said. “People are more open to it now than they were in 2002.”

To help with the promotion, Oskar Blues Brewery partnered with Alabev, the craft division of Alabama Beverages that represents the majority of the state’s breweries, to be the distributor of their beers.

“We train the retailers, bartenders and servers and educate them on the beer, and that it deserves its place on the table next to the wine,” Matt Kilpatrick, specialty and import brand manager of Alabev and University of Alabama graduate, said.

When looking for brands to distribute, Kilpatrick said Alabev looks for a contagious culture that will attract customers, the business’ personality, the packaging — if it will stand out on the shelves — and of course, the liquid.

“We go to the places and try the beer there,” Kilpatrick said. “We have been to Oskar Blues at least half a dozen times to court them and get to know their business. Lucky for us they are southern boys.” Kilpatrick said not only is Oskar Blues’ beer second to none, but Tuscaloosa has a vibrant beer scene, making it ideal to promote the brand.

“It’s not just graduate students and students over 21, but its businessmen and everyone else,” Kilpatrick said. “People will fall in love [with] their personality, and Alabama can’t help but to embrace it.”

Both Kilpatrick and Katechis said because of previous Alabama laws that hindered many craft breweries, Oskar Blues was unable to bring their products to the state, but thanks to recent efforts from Free the Hops, it became possible.

“Free the Hops has done a wonderful job,” Katechis said. “This year we added 20 percent more ferment vessels in the brewery which allowed us to come to Alabama.”

He said the main purpose of the launch parties this week will be to engage with consumers and retailers in Tuscaloosa and educate them about their beers and also provide samples to taste.

“I’ll have some swag to give away, answer any questions and just explain more about us,” Katechis said. The launch parties will be held this evening at Corks n Tops at 5 p.m., Wihagan’s at 6 p.m., The Alcove at 7 p.m. and Mellow Mushroom at 8 p.m.

Katechis said he is excited to be in Tuscaloosa and bring his beer along with him.

“Roll Tide, baby, Roll Tide,” he said. “I’m looking forward to supporting the football team this year, being able to pull out a can of Oskar Blue and enjoy T-town like it’s supposed to be.”