Redshirt sophomore quarterback Sims to transfer

The University of Alabama announced Friday that redshirt sophomore quarterback Phillip Sims has decided to transfer following the spring semester.

“This was a very difficult decision because I’ve had a great experience at the University of Alabama and I’m thankful for the opportunity this program provided me,” Sims said. “I want to thank Coach [Nick] Saban and the coaching staff for being with me and my family at this time. I wouldn’t change anything about my decision to come to Alabama and this has been one of the greatest experiences of my life. The reason for me leaving is nothing more than a personal matter. I just need to be closer to home to support my family at this time and that needs to be my priority right now. I would still like to continue my football career, and hopefully I can do that and also be there for my family.”

Sims, from Chesapeake, Va., played in eight games last season, completing 64.3 percent of his passes for 163 yards. He redshirted his first year at Alabama in the fall of 2010.

“Phillip has been a great representative of our program and did a great job for us in his two years here,” Saban said. “We are sorry to see him leave, but we certainly understand the situation, and everyone here wishes him the best of luck. We’ve talked on numerous occasions about this decision and we just want Phillip to know that we will be here to support him in the future if there is anything we can do to help him and his family.” Sims did not release where he will be transferring.