New UA fashion magazine takes to the runway

Her Campus Alabama, an online magazine for women of the University of Alabama, will host a charity fashion tonight at Brown’s Corner from 7 to 9 p.m.

“Since we are a women’s magazine that’s a mix between Cosmo and Glamour but just for Alabama girls, it would only seem natural to have a fashion show,” said Jessica Johnson, editor-in-chief of Her Campus Alabama.

The fashion show will feature a variety of clothes ranging from dresses, shirts, pants and jewelry from local boutiques.

“The show will consist of mainly dresses, with a focus on what you can wear to the A-Day game,” said Rebecca Tiarsmith, business and publicity director for Her Campus Alabama. “Dresses are easier to put on, but we will have some pants and shirts combos as well.”

Stores will be showing their new season items in addition to their favorites for the event. Some of the boutiques include Ellie Crimson, Sassy Britches, Everyday Indulgence, Prose and Palaver, Private Gallery and Vintage Vibe.

“We’re still a young publication and campus organization. We’re very excited to see such an outpour of support from the local boutiques,” Johnson said. “We walked in with not much more than our traffic numbers to show them, and they were more than willing to make donations.”

Prose and Palaver will also be offering 20 percent off store items if customers bring a flyer back from the event.

Tiarsmith said employees from Prose and Palaver will be modeling their items, and students from the fashion department will model the remainder of the clothes.

Johnson started Her Campus Alabama in the fall 2011 semester after being an avid reader of the national Her Campus site most of her college career.

“I have been a Her Campus reader for about three years now, and I loved the idea of it,” she said. “I love that I can go and read stories from undergraduate women that are just like me from various parts of the country. When I realized the SEC wasn’t very well represented I really wanted Alabama to have a voice.”

Her Campus Alabama covers a wide range of topics that pertain to college-aged women on the UA campus. This includes everything from fitness to movies to sex.

“I think this campus is so diverse, and our staff is so diverse. It has Greek girls and non-Greek, and we’re trying to cover real topics,” she said. “We’re not The CW. We don’t want to be The CW, but we do want to be that outlet for girls on campus because you need to know about where you can go on a Sunday date or the five hidden places in Tuscaloosa to go with your parents.”

Through Her Campus Alabama’s partnership with T-Town Paws, a nonprofit, no-kill animal shelter in town, the website is able to feature a Stray of the Month in hopes of getting some of the pets adopted. Tonight’s fashion show will benefit this partnership.

Her Campus Alabama is suggesting a $5 donation for everyone who attends the event but will accept more from anyone who wants to donate.

“We want to raise enough money at the event to buy food and medicine for one stray of the month for a month,” Johnson said.

Brown’s Corner will be offering beer, shots and mixed drink specials for fashion show goers.

“It’s a charity event, so your drinking will do a little bit of good,” Johnson said. “It’s also early so you can go straight from Brown’s Corner to any bar downtown, or you can make that little bit of a longer walk to Moe’s, Innisfree or even the Strip.”

To find out more about the event or Her Campus Alabama, visit hercampus.com/Alabama or follow @HCAlabama on twitter.

If you go..

What: Her Campus Alabama charity fashion show

When: Tonight 7 p.m. until 9 p.m.

Where: Brown’s Corner

How Much: Suggested $5 donation for T-Town Paws