Show features affordable clothes

Show features affordable clothes

For many UA women the cost of dresses for events such as formals or romantic dates can turn into a big problem. However, Rent the Runway works to fix that.

“Basically it is every college girl’s dream come true, in that you can get an absolutely gorgeous dress for only 10 percent of the price,” said Caroline Davis, campus Rent the Runway manager and event coordinator. “It’s great for any event that a girl ever goes to; they have long and short dresses, accessories, shoes, blazers and even some skirts.”

Rent The Runway is a group based out of New York City that rents out upscale, designer fashions for only a fraction of the original retail cost. Their website is stocked with the latest styles of formal wear, cocktail attire and casual dresses ready to rent for 90 percent off their original price.

There is no need to worry about whether it will fit or not. Rent The Runway sends you two sizes of your dress of choice. You keep the dresses for up to eight days and return them in the envelope that is provided at no cost. If for some reason neither size you order fits, Rent the Runway will provide you with a full store credit, minus the cost of shipping.

“You can purchase a $5 insurance policy that covers the dress if you ruin it,” Davis said. “That way, you can go all out if you want to and not worry about it.”

The Rent The Runway team is hosting a Valentine’s Day trunk show, Dresses and Wine Be My Valentine, Tuesday night at The Booth. The goal of the event is to show off some of their available inventory in different sizes for potential buyers to try on.

“We want to show girls how to style the Rent the Runway dresses with their own accessories and shoes,” she said.

Rent the Runway hosted a big fashion show last fall in which they collaborated with local boutiques, and they are working on another for March. Davis said the huge shows are great for people to come and see a lot of the inventory, but the smaller trunk shows are great for those who want to learn about accessorizing the dresses.

“Online shopping scares a lot of people, so we are trying to hold their hands making online shopping really easy,” she said. “We have a great team assembled who have a great eye for fashion and know what looks good on what body types and how to accessorize the dresses.”

Besides putting on public trunk shows and fashion shows, Rent the Runway is available for private groups, such as sororities, to put on trunk shows similar to the one they will put on Tuesday night.

The dresses they choose for the trunk show are largely based on the looks Chanel had in its fashion shows during Fashion Week in November. They ordered a lot of springy, strapless dresses with lots of blues and blacks.

Tickets for Tuesday’s trunk show are $10, which can be purchased at the door. The tickets include unlimited wine from 7 to 10:30 p.m. for those over 21, as well as the opportunity to try on the dresses at the show. The event is open to all ages, and there will be alternatives to wine for those not of age.

Everyone who attends the event will receive a special promotional code for 20 percent of their next rental and be entered in a give away for prizes such as a Rent the Runway shirt that reads, “I had a one night stand with fashion.”

“[The event] is a chance for people to see how pretty the dresses are in real life,” Taylor Kiely, Rent the Runway’s public relations representative, said.

If you’re interested in getting involved with UA’s Rent the Runway, or having them put on an event for your organization visit http://www.facebook.com/RenttheRunwayUA or contact Caroline Davis at [email protected]

If You Go

What: Rent the Runway Valentine’s Day trunk show

Where: The Booth

When: Tuesday at 7 p.m.

Cost: $10 (includes unlimited wine from 7 to 10:30 p.m.)