How to tackle move-in day

A+Division+of+Student+life+worker+assists+students+moving+into+their+new+dorms+at+the+start+of+the+2022-2023+semester.+

CW File

A Division of Student life worker assists students moving into their new dorms at the start of the 2022-2023 semester.

Carson Lott, Managing Editor

All summer, you’re likely buzzing with nerves as you anticipate moving into your home for the next four years at The University of Alabama.

You might be wondering how you will be able to get all of your belongings, clothes and school materials into your car or a plane. You might be fearing the intense August heat and humidity. However, with careful planning, move-in day can easily become a memorable start to your future at the University. 

Planning your move

1. There are several move-in dates, ranging from the beginning of August for sorority recruitment, Million Dollar Band tryouts and other programs that begin before classes start. Sign-up for move-in dates opens in June, so plan ahead to ensure you have an idea of when you’re moving. 
  2. Make a list of items you think you need and items you want to bring. Compare this list with the list provided by UA Housing and Residential Communities and make necessary cuts and adjustments. 
  3. Coordinate with your roommates on shared items, like furniture or a water filter, to prevent bringing duplicates. 
  4. Remember that you will be able to purchase items when you arrive in Tuscaloosa. Only plan to pack things that you will need when you get here. 

Making the move 

1. Pack your belongings in an efficient manner. Investing in boxes or large containers will save you plenty of time and hassle.
  2. If necessary, you can mail items to the Student Center Mail Center for pickup upon arrival. The Mail Center recommends shipping items as early as June 1 and no later than July 22. Additional information can be found on the Mail Center website
  3. Print the labels provided by HRC and label everything. Include your full name, residential building, room number and phone number. 

Arriving at the University

1. Review the move-in map provided by the University for your residential building. Knowing this map will keep you on track as you make your way to campus. 
  2. Follow the schedule closely. The schedule is designed to prevent traffic backup on the roads and inside the buildings. Do your best to arrive at your designated move-in time. 
  3. Upon your arrival, volunteers and HRC staff will begin unloading your belongings into a moving cart. They will use the labels to locate your room. 
  4. While they are moving your belongings, you will begin the process of checking in. Have your Action Card and CWID ready to receive your keys. 
  5. Follow the parking instructions closely.

Unpacking and settling in 

1. After you check in, all of your belongings should be in your room. You will be instructed on any necessary paperwork or work orders by a volunteer upon checking in. 
  2. Begin unpacking! 
  3. Be patient with yourself and others. Everyone is going to be hot and exhausted, so be kind and remember that everything will work out at the end. 
  4. Stay hydrated and fed!

Move-in can be a stressful time, but by closely following the directions provided by UA Housing and Residential Communities, you can transition into college life much easier. As you begin to unpack your belongings and decorate your space, remember to do everything you can to make it feel like home.

Take the time to thank your parents, family members or friends who help you move in. Hug them tight before you part ways, and begin settling into your new home at the University.